Communities First Association (CFA) Position Description
Job Title: Executive Director
Type: Full time; Exempt
Reports To: CFA Board of Directors
To provide leadership to CFA in fulfilling her mission and “ends” as determined by the CFA Board of Directors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Nourish the CFA vision of reducing poverty in the USA focusing on neighborhood transformation and using Asset Based Community Development approaches.
2. Develop and monitor progress according to CFA strategic plan.
3. Fulfill responsibilities in meeting CFA fundraising goals based on the annual and strategic plans.
4. Develop and supervise a staff team to accomplish the CFA annual and long range plans.
5. Maintain a culture of future oriented performance and reasonable work/life balance.
6. Maintain and increase collaboration with Christian Reformed World Relief Committee (CRWRC) and other organizations, ecumenical coalitions, and networks to stabilize and scale up the work.
7. Join and develop networks of partners who together work to change the systems that perpetuate poverty in the USA.
Board Support Functions
1. Ensure that the CFA Board receives appropriate information in a timely manner to enable them to perform their governance roles well.
2. Maintain an exceptional Board-staff interface to accomplish the vision of CFA.
3. Ensure that Board directions and decisions are followed and acted upon.
4. Supervise the budget presentation and financial reporting to all key constituencies.
1. Maintain appropriate systems to support the work in the field; Associational participation is CFA’s greatest gift and priority.
2. Maintain systems for Associational interaction, growth and peer review
3. Maintain a results framework that is compelling to both donors and CFA partners.
4. Maintain appropriate systems for financial planning, budgeting, monitoring and control of financial resources.
5. Maintain systems for the recruitment, hiring, training, supervision and evaluation of staff.
6. Develop, maintain and follow CFA personnel policies.
7. Nurture the development of additional leaders.
8. Promote a culture that is both Christian and professional
Constituency Relations Functions
1. CFA members (partners) must be heard, respected, and engaged in the work at all times.
2. Increase the profile and reputation of CFA nationally.
3. Position CFA assets and interests in Christian Community Development arenas for performance. Develop and support collaborative relationships that grow the work and the movement.
4. Ensure strong financial growth for CFA with an aggressive and innovative annual plan, focused on diversified revenue streams and supported by strong donor relationships.
5. Develop strong donor relationships, in conjunction with Director of Fund Development & Communications
Directly supervise CFA staff.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
1. A humble, servant leader who gives evidence of a close walk with God and who values being accountable to other believers for her/his faith and life journey.
2. Deep commitment to Asset Based Christian Community Development and an ability to articulate underlying Biblical theological narratives supporting CFA’s work and approaches.
3. Ability to articulate socio-cultural realities and trends affecting CFA’s work.
4. A commitment to reducing poverty in the USA, coupled with a commitment to (w)holistic ministries which equip the poor to discover and use their full potential as image-bearers of God.
5. Intuitive, supportive Leadership with a record of building talented teams of professional leaders who lead others.
6. High emotional and relational intelligence with a history of creating healthy and safe environments that lead others to greater self-awareness and accountability.
7. Evidence of a long-term, macro approach to vision and strategy with a commitment to delegation of management and details.
8. Ability to develop and inspire followers.
9. Evidence of applying effective tools and systems in achieving results.
10. Values diversity at all levels.
11. Ability to listen, respond, motivate, and lead when working with stakeholders.
12. An ability to navigate among a variety of Evangelical and Mainline Church leaders
13. Must be versatile in computer use and applications (communications, training, promotions)
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Higher education with emphasis in leadership, management, community development, or related fields is preferred.
2. A personal story about how ABCD principles have shaped your personal and professional life.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Work in normal office environment with private office; considerable travel throughout the US. National office of CFA is located in Holland, MI.