Friday Food for Thought: An Oath
May 4, 2012 Leave a comment
From Robert Lupton’s Toxic Charity:
The Oath for Compassionate Service
- Never do for the poor what they have (or could have) the capacity to do for themselves.
- Limit one-way giving to emergency situations.
- Strive to empower the poor through employment, lending, and investing, using grants sparingly to reinforce achievements.
- Subordinate self-interests to the needs of those being served.
- Listen closely to those you seek to help, especially to what is not being said–unspoken feelings may contain essential clues to effective service.
- Above all, do no harm.
CFA encourages the consideration of these questions as you look to serve with the community:
- Who has the power?
- Is there a level playing field?
- Is the relationship equitable?
- Who is the beneficiary?
- Is it empowering? For whom?
- Which is most likely to produce sustainable change?